Academic Tutor Position Description and Application Information
Apply by Friday, January 15 @ 12:00 PM (Noon) to ensure consideration Salary/Wage: $11.00/hour
Position Description: The Academic Match Program is a small-group tutoring program within GUTS. Tutors with the Academic Match Program will tutor 1-2 small groups for 1 or more high-enrollment courses at UW-Madison. Tutors meet with their student group(s) once per week for 2 hours each meeting for about 12-13 weeks of the Spring 2021 semester. Tutors should plan to spend an additional 1 hour/week to prep for tutoring session(s). This position is paid $11.00/hour and works 3-6 hours weekly, depending on if the tutor works with 1 or 2 student groups.
The Greater University Tutoring Service (GUTS) at UW-Madison is hiring academic tutors for the following classes in the Spring 2021 semester. Strong candidates can support multiple courses in this list:
- Chemistry 103 & 104 or 343 & 345
- Math 114, 211, 221, 222
- Economics 101, 102, 301, 302
- Biology/Zoology 101, 151, 152
- Physics 103 & 104 or 207 & 208
- Statistics 301 & 371
- Psychology 202 & 405
GUTS Academic Tutors facilitate their peers’ learning through weekly, small-group tutoring sessions in one or more courses while obtaining the following benefits:
- Salary/Wage: $11.00/ hour – prep time is also paid
- Development of leadership, communication skills, and problem-solving skills
- Gain tutoring, teaching, and mentorship experience
- Specialized orientation and training
- Service to the UW community
- Resume building opportunity
Note about Spring 2021 modality: We anticipate that most tutoring services will be held remotely over Zoom (or another program) in Spring 2021.
- Must be located in the United States. (International students are welcome to apply, but we cannot hire students who are residing in another country)
- Must have earned at least an AB in the course and/or equivalent course(s) you wish to support
- Teaching or tutoring experience desired
- Overall GPA of at least 3.25 (3.5 GPA + Preferred)
- Interest in working with students from various backgrounds
Position Summary/Job Description
- Work in group tutoring setting with groups of 3-8 students
- Create a welcoming and inclusive learning environment
- Work under the supervision of the GUTS Senior Coordinators and Coordinator of Academic Support Services and work with GUTS Academic Match Coordinators
- Maintain regular hours. Strong candidates will have various availability within these timeframes:
- Sunday availability
- Monday availability
- Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Apply by Friday, January 15 @ 12:00 PM (Noon).
- Some personal information (name, school ID, major, etc.)
- Response to 2 short-answer questions
- An academic or professional reference (provide name, position title, email, and phone number).
Interviews will ONLY be on the following dates: January 21 and 22, 2021
Contact Elizabeth Baldridge, Coordinator of Academic Support Services at email@example.com with questions.